5 Things Your Car Crash Lawyer Needs To Know About Your Accident
If you have been in a car accident that left you injured or with heavy financial debt because of damage done to your vehicle, you are going to want to consult with a lawyer, such as George T. Bochanis Law Offices, to help determine how you can be compensated for the losses. When you go to consult with your lawyer, here are the five things that he or she is going to want to know:
- When the Accident Happened: The first thing your lawyer is going to want to know is when the actual car accident happened. This is because a person only has a certain amount of time to file a lawsuit. After this time, there will be nothing that you can do to try and receive compensation.
- What Happened After the Accident: What happened after the accident can affect your lawsuit. For example, if you have apologized to the other driver for the accident when it wasn't clear whether or not it was your fault can result in the judge determining that you were the one at fault for the accident and not any other party. Be sure that you are careful with what you say after an accident to avoid problems such as this.
- The Injuries You Have Endured and Other Financial Loss: Your lawyer is going to want to know the extent of the injuries you have suffered, as well as what other financial losses you are trying to receive compensation for. You can receive compensation for things such as time missed from work while in the hospital treating injuries, pain and suffering, and more. Your lawyer will help to organize this information, determine whether or not it is possible for you to receive compensation at all, and whether or not pursuing a lawsuit is worth the amount of potential compensation you can receive.
- If There Were Commercial Vehicles Involved: If you were in an accident with a commercial vehicle, such as a bus, then it is the employer that needs to be involved in the lawsuit, not the actual driver. Your lawyer needs to know if it was a commercial vehicle in the accident to determine who they need to take legal action against.
- Any Laws That Were Broken: If you broke any laws that lead to the accident happening, such as running a red light, driving under the influence, and more, then your lawyer needs to know. In some cases, you can still receive compensation for injuries in this situation, but that's about it.
By knowing the top five things your lawyer needs to know about your car accident, you can be better prepared for providing the information when you consult with him or her.